和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
し か ~ 無ない 
1. Only A; no more than A
済 み ま せ ん が 、 日本語 の 名 刺 し か 持 っ て 居 な い ん で す け ど 。 
Sorry, I only have a Japanese (-language) business card.
Discussion & Notes (2)
2. There's only A; Only A can be done; Only A (of many methods)
彼 女 に 騙 さ れ て 仕 舞 っ た の で 別 れ る し か 無 い で す 。 
I was deceived by her, so there is nothing to do but go our separate ways.
Discussion & Notes (2)
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Page: 2 of 2



avatar
Karlla
Level: 910

#2 This English translation has a typo:

思ったより早く着いたから店が開店するまで待つしかない。
As were arrived earlier than expected we now can only wait until the shop opens.

0
6 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

Fixed, thanks!

0
6 years ago
avatar
Kalamisanos
Level: 84

Hello!

I do not understand this grammar very well yet but I want to make sure if I understand this specific difference between these two sentences.

この仕事ができるのは彼女しかいない。

この仕事ができるのは彼女しかない。


The first is the correct one and the second the wrong one, because it is missing the い.

Is the いない the negative of いる and that is why the second sentence is wrong? Because in the end the is no verb in the sentence?


The other example is すみませんが、日本語の名刺しか持っていないんですけど。

So 持っていない is the negative of 持っている ?

I really need to study the conjugations more.

To be honest this grammar point is a little tough for starter grammar but at least it's the only one that gives me a difficult time every time I see it.


Thank you for your time!

0
3 years ago
avatar
Anonymous123
Level: 1681

Hello!

I do not understand this grammar very well yet but I want to make sure if I understand this specific difference between these two sentences.

この仕事ができるのは彼女しかいない。

この仕事ができるのは彼女しかない。


The first is the correct one and the second the wrong one, because it is missing the い.

Is the いない the negative of いる and that is why the second sentence is wrong? Because in the end the is no verb in the sentence?

The other example is すみませんが、日本語の名刺しか持っていないんですけど。

So 持っていない is the negative of 持っている ?

I really need to study the conjugations more.

To be honest this grammar point is a little tough for starter grammar but at least it's the only one that gives me a difficult time every time I see it.

Thank you for your time!

Both いない and ない are negative forms of verbs. いない is the negative form of いる (existential verb for living things), while ない is the negative form of ある (existential verb for non-living things). 彼女 is a living thing, so you want to use いない there.

Here's an example where we would use しかない.

今週 の 授業 は 数学 しかない。The only class this week is math

数学 (math) is not a living thing, so we use ない.

持っていない is indeed the negative form of 持っている

2
3 years ago
avatar
Kalamisanos
Level: 84

Oh yes ない is the negative of ある!

I really need to focus on conjugations and I think it is time to start the conjugation drills there are here.

Thanks for the clarification!

1
3 years ago
Getting the posts


Page: 2 of 2



Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana