和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ない こと に は 
1. If you don't A; the condition B will remain the same.
食 べ て み な い こと に は 美味 し い か 如何 か 分 か ら な い ! 
I won't know if it's delicious unless I try it.
Discussion & Notes (5)
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk



avatar
mireille
Level: 1
I-adjective (-い) + くないことには
Noun + で + ないことには
Na-adjective + で + ないことには
0
16 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Thanks!
0
16 years ago
avatar
mireille
Level: 1
The constructions I posted previously aren't correct.
According to Unicom it's

ない form verb + ことには
Noun + でないことはない
I-adjective (-い) + くないことには
Na-adjective + でないことはない

But the example sentences they provided are:

あなたの気持ち、分からないことはないんだけど…。
眼鏡なしで読めないことはないのですが、ちょっと読みづらいんです。
納豆は食べないこともないんですが、あまり好きじゃないんです。
この本、面白くないことはないんですが、今ひとつですね。

The grammar point is also called ないことはない ・ ないこともない, so the construction doesn't really seem to match with the rest.
0
16 years ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346
Yea, that's a different construction. That one means 'as long as [A] isn't done], and the one you posted means 'to some small extent/amount [A]' http://new.renshuu.org/index.php?page=grammar/individual&id=152
0
16 years ago
avatar
Lang_learner
Level: 1
Is this grammar used in common speech? Thanks is advance! :D
0
13 years ago
avatar
できるだけ
Level: 28
No, I don't hear this one much.
0
13 years ago
avatar
Lang_learner
Level: 1
@できるだけ, thanks!
0
13 years ago
avatar
PUfelix85
Level: 349

The way I understand this grammar structure 「A ないことには B ない」 is used to say that you don't know the outcome [B] yet, but [A] needs to happen to find out. In comparison, 「A することなく (B)」where the outcome [B] is known (and optional), so you are saying that [A] has to happen to achieve that result.

0
1 year ago
Getting the posts




Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana