和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
で 
1. At A; in A
Shows the location A that an action/event takes place.
近 所 の ス ー パ ー で 懐 か し い 友 達 に 会 い ま し た 。 
I met a dear friend of mine at a supermarket nearby.
Discussion & Notes (3)
2. For A; in A (shows a length or amount of time)
此 の 本 を 3日 で 読 んで 下 さ い 。 
Please read this book in three days.
Discussion & Notes (4)
3. Do B by using the object A; Do B by means of A
京 都 迄 車 で 行 こ う と 思 い ま す 。 
I'm thinking of going to Kyoto by car.
Discussion & Notes (3)
4. Shows the material A that something is made of/composed of
山 の 湧 き 水 で 珈琲 を 淹 れ た 。 
I made coffee with mountain spring water.
Discussion & Notes (5)
5. Because of A; Due to A
済 み ま せ ん 、 雪 で 電 車 が 遅 れ ま し た 。 
Sorry, the train was late because of the snow.
Discussion & Notes (0)
6. Used after nouns/な-adjectives to link a list of adjectives and/or nouns
彼 は 健 康 で 丈 夫 だ 。 
He is strong and healthy.
Discussion & Notes (0)
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Page: 2 of 2



avatar

I cannot understand that whenever I type a sentence in chatgpt and to assure that it is grammatically correct It is always wrong, it says " in japanese its not casual to say this or is unnatural in japanese:
I used the te form :
10時間でねたかったです。---> Isn't it correct?
I wanted to sleep for 10 hours.
When do we use de form then?
Chatgpt says The correct answer is :「10時間寝たかったです。」 → "I wanted to sleep for 10 hours." (Most natural), but「10時間で寝たかったです。」 still sounds unnatural because 寝る (to sleep) is not an action with a clear completion point in the same wayas finishing homework or eating a meal.

- 私はケーキでお菓子を作りました。--> Is it also correct?

d0fead5f51fb4df61a9c34d2.png

translation = I usually go home at 5:00, but 'at' is De. Correct ans = ni

0
1 year ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

Although I would never trust chatgpt with giving accurate information for language learning, it is correct here.

で is attached to a period of time to mark the completion of the activity. sleeping isn't exactly a thing you can "complete", so you don't need it: just the period of time is enough.

1
1 year ago
avatar
relmet
Level: 321

露天風呂は石や木のおふろで、建物の外にあります。

Can anyone explain what does で mean in this sentence?

0
8 months ago
avatar

I believe it’s で sense 4 “and then, so.”

It’s kind of a strange sentence because the rocks and trees don’t seem to be connected to anything.

1
8 months ago
avatar

Isn't it linking two states/attributes of the same subject? Random example I found: 日本人で、日本語の先生です。(Is Japanese and a Japanese teacher).

It's two separate "descriptions", linked with で. That's what it looks like to me anyway. kao_think.png

1
8 months ago
avatar

Yes, but what do the rocks and trees have to do with the rotenburo? Is it made out of them, is it situated among them, or is it made for their use? It feels like a piece is missing.

0
8 months ago
avatar

石や木のおふろ is a noun phrase, no? - "a bath of stone and/or wood"

I don't find it confusing at all. *It's just describing what a rotenburo is typically made out of.

Edit: So your first sentence by itself would be this: 露天風呂は石や木のおふろです = "Rotenburo are stone-and-wood baths".


*I guess I should say "It's describing a rotenburo as a bath made out of stone and/or wood" not "It's just describing what a rotenburo is typically made out of", that wasn't very clear wording on my part.

I'm not 100% sure if I should take や as an "and" or an "or". I also don't know how natural such a description sounds, but at least to me it sound fine. I guess 木風呂 and 石風呂 are a thing.

0
8 months ago
avatar
relmet
Level: 321

The sentence comes from «Tobira: beginning Japanese I» textbook. Here is more context, if that helps: 温泉の旅館にはたいてい露天風呂というおふろがあります。露天風呂は石や木のおふろで、建物の外にあります。自然の中で温かいお風呂に入るのはとても気分がいいです。

1
8 months ago
avatar

Thanks, that does help. Simply knowing that the topic is “what’s a rotenburo?” makes all the difference.

0
8 months ago
Getting the posts


Page: 2 of 2



Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana