和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums - Miori's Japanese Grammar Library

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk



avatar
Miori 美緒理
Level: 213

Hello everyone,

I have started this thread to create my own Japanese grammar library because I often come across grammar points that I find confusing or that I easily forget over time. I have found that the best way to address this is to create my own grammar library here based on the research I will conduct using various resources. It goes without saying, everyone is welcome to benefit from it.

1
10 days ago
avatar
Anonymous123
Level: 1681

In case you're not aware, you can post questions and add usage notes (you can make these public or private) to the grammar library in Renshuu. Just an alternative that you might want to check out.

2
10 days ago
avatar
Miori 美緒理
Level: 213
Anonymous123 (09月28日, 9:11)

In case you're not aware, you can post questions and add usage notes (you can make these public or private) to the grammar library in Renshuu. Just an alternative that you might want to check out.

​


I know about that already, and I actually did post there several times, but the point from this thread is that I want all my notes and the results of my research to be in one place, like a notebook. I chose to create my notebook on Renshuu because it's my main Japanese learning resource. I'm bad at using several apps for one activity. Renshuu is all I need to maintain consistency.

1
10 days ago
avatar
Miori 美緒理
Level: 213

How to say "HAVE TO", "NEED TO" "SHOULD HAVE", "I WISH...HADN'T".


ないと、なきゃ、なくちゃ、なければいけない、なければならない 、なくてはいけない、はいけない (mustn't....).


To say I have to, Japanese starts from the negative form of a verb.

Example base verb:

行く → 行かない → 行かなきゃ (I have to go)

行かない = if I don’t go
なきゃ = short for なければ (if I don’t)
So “I have to go” literally means: If I don’t go, it won’t be good.


To make the verb negative:
- Ichidan verbs
(~る / ~いる / ~える). For example,
見る → 見ない → 見なきゃ (I have to look)

- Godan verbs Change final u-row kana → a-row + ない. For example,
行く → 行かない → 行かなきゃ
話す → 話さない → 話さなきゃ
待つ → 待たない → 待たなきゃ

- Special う-ending verbs
言う → 言わない → 言わなきゃ
会う → 会わない → 会わなきゃ

- Irregulars
する → しない → しなきゃ
くる → こない → こなきゃ


Informal “Have To” Forms:

1. なきゃ
Most common casual form.
行かなきゃ → I gotta go
言わなきゃ → I have to say

2. ないと
Also casual.
行かないと → I have to go
Often used with 行けない:
行かないと行けない → I have to go

3. なくちゃ
Short for なくては.
行かなくちゃ → I gotta go
Slightly softer/feminine in nuance, but used by everyone.


P.S. If you want to add something at the end of the sentence, like んだ (to explain the reason for the situation) or と思う, you have to add 行けない to connect them.

行かないと行けないんだ

行かなきゃ行けないと思う


Formal “Have To / Must” Forms:

1. なければいけません (subjective “I need to” personal reason).
帰らなければいけません → I need to go home
Meaning
:
for my own reasons, I need to do this.

Attack on Titan Example (Eren) from Season 1 Episode 11:

Subjective need 俺はみんなの希望にならなきゃいけないんだ → I need to become everyone’s hope.

2. なければなりません (objective “I must” obligation).
試験に合格しなければなりません → I must pass the exam.
Meaning
:
it is required / expected by others.

Attack on Titan Example (Eren) From Season 1 Episode 11:
Serious obligation / a life or death situation:
成功させなければならない → I must make it succeed.

3. なくてはいけない

You can use なくてはいけない a bit more informally. However, usually there will be some sort of 'force' making you do the task, rather than just your own sense of obligation. For example:

お金がないから、学校を止めなくてはいけない = I have no money, so I have to quit school.

税金を払わなくてはいけない = You have to pay taxes.

明日はテストだから、勉強しなくてはいけません = Tomorrow's the test, so I have to study.


Regret Forms: “I Wish I Had / Hadn’t”:

なきゃ + よかった → I wish I hadn’t....

会わなきゃよかった → I wish I hadn’t met you
何も言わなきゃよかった → I wish I hadn’t said anything.
Formal
:
会わなければよかったです.

ばよかった → I should have.....
言えばよかった → I should have said it.
好きだって言えばよかった → I should have told her I love her.



Prohibitions:

てはいけません

It is used to talk about things you may not do. It's used in formal situations, talking about rules and regulations, rather than someone just wanting you to not do something.

写真を撮ってはいけません → You may not take pictures.

Casual: 撮っちゃだめ → Don’t take pictures.

It can also be used to give a strong warning to a friend or a family member in everyday conversations.

It can either be used with nouns, or with the て form of a verb. With nouns, you are telling someone they cannot be something.

With verbs, you are telling someone they cannot do something.

1
10 days ago
avatar
Miori 美緒理
Level: 213

The primary uses of the expression に限って


1. To show that (B) is an unbelievable thing about (A).

2. To express that something is limited to (A).

For example: 先輩は忙しい日に限って、飲みに誘ってくる。= My senior colleague always invites me out for a drink on the very days when I’m busy.

Other examples with a different nuance: 本日に限り半額 = ("half price today only"), 先着100名に限り = ("first 100 people only"), 今回に限って許す ("I'll let it go — this time only").

3. To highlight that in most cases for (A), (B).

For example: 「絶対後でやる」って言う人に限って、いつまでもやらない人が多い。= Many of those who say, 'I'll definitely do it later', never do.

4. English has both of these: "of all times, it had to be now" and "he, of all people, wouldn't…" Japanese uses one pattern for both —> 限る , which means "limit." So に限って draws a circle around one case to single it out. If what's in the circle a time, occasion or a person → a complaint about bad timing or an unwanted person. If what's in the circle is someone you trust, followed by はずがない or ない → a defence.


Common mistakes:

Don't mix “~に限って” with "だけ", or "のに".

> に限ってcarries a nuance of irony or frustration: “of all times, precisely this one.”

> だけ is a simple, neutral limitation.

> のに expresses dissatisfaction about a result that goes against expectations.


Don"t mix it up with に限らず.

> に限って narrows to one.

> に限らず widens —> 子どもに限らず大人 = ("not just kids — adults too").

0
8 days ago
avatar
Miori 美緒理
Level: 213

The meanings of ということです


- Can be used to give an explanation or interpretation. It can be something based on a fact or it can be something that you have heard from someone. So it means, I heard that, it is said that, it is written that, it seems that...

Example sentences:

同僚の話では今年はボーナスが出ないということだ。= According to my colleague, we will not have any bonus this year —> According to someone is : someone の話では. We can also use someone によると.

今日のニュースでは昨日有名な歌手が亡くなったということです。= During today's news, it was said that a famous singer passed away.

今年は雨が多いので、野菜の値段が来月からさらに上がるということです。= Since it rained a lot this year, I had heard that the price of vegetable will increase even more from next month.


- We also use ということです when we give an explanation, interpretation, or summary of word. So it means "the fact that, in other words, that is to say, in short, it means that..."

Example sentences:

テストの結果は80点。 つまり合格だということです。= The result of your test was 80 points. In other words, you passed.

毎日ゲームをしているということは。 勉強する暇がないということです。= Playing game every day means you don't have time to study.


- ということだ is also used when you want to confirm what the person said. In this case, it means "it means....?"

Example Sentences:
A: これから私は世界旅行に行くことにしました。

B: 今の仕事を辞めるということですか?

A: From now on, I decided to go for a world trip.

B: Really? So it means that you will quit your current job?


- 'どういうことですか?' means, "What does that mean?"

Example Sentences:

A: 君の目を見ることができないよ。

B: どういうこと?

A: 君がかわいすぎるということだよ。

A: I cannot see your eyes.

B: What does that mean?

A: It means that you are too cute.


- '何ということですか?' means, "What the hell does that mean?!". This one includes a bit of surprise and also madness.
Example Sentences:

A: 課長、あの資料を間違えて捨ててしまいました。

B: 何ということだ?!

A: Manager, I accidentally threw away the documents.

B: What the hell does that mean?!

0
6 days ago
avatar
Miori 美緒理
Level: 213

~(よ)うとする means: About To / Try To.

It works even with inanimate subjects, for example: 日が沈もうとしている / hi ga shizumoutoshiteiru = the sun is about to set.


The structure:

Plain volitional + と + する. Then you conjugate the する for tenses: とした (past), としている (progressive), としたら/とすると (conditional).



Meaning 1 "was about to / on the verge of":

With past ~(よ)うとした, and especially paired with 時 ("when") or たら, the form marks the instant right before an action — and it almost always sets up an interruption. Something cuts in just as you were about to act.


For example:

出かけようとした時、電話が鳴った。

dekakeyō to shita toki, denwa ga natta

Just as I was about to leave, the phone rang.



Meaning 2: "tried to / attempted to" (often failing):

With the same past form, but focused on the effort rather than the timing, ~(よ)うとした means "made an attempt." Critically, it says nothing about success — and it very frequently leads into a "…but it didn't work." If your sentence is heading toward "…but", ようとした is usually the form you want.


For example:

彼に真実を伝えようとしたが、言葉が出てこなかった。

kare ni shinjitsu o tsutaeyō to shita ga, kotoba ga dete konakatta

I tried to tell him the truth, but the words wouldn't come out.



3. The progressive: "is trying to / is about to"

~(よ)うとしている describes an attempt or an imminent action happening right now.


For example:

赤ちゃんが自分で立とうとしている。

akachan ga jibun de tatō to shite iru

The baby is trying to stand up on its own.



4. (よ)うとしない:

means "won't even try / stubbornly refuses to. For example:

子供が薬を飲もうとしない = the kid won't take his medicine (won't even attempt to).

It's stronger and more exasperated than a plain 飲まない ("doesn't drink"), because it denies the very effort.



ようとする vs. ようにする:

ようとする = a single, momentary attempt or the verge of one action.

ようにする = to make a point of doing X regularly.

ようにする attaches to the *dictionary form* (食べるようにする), while ようとする attaches to the *volitional* (食べようとする).


ようとする vs. てみる:

てみる = to try doing X to see what it's like. You actually complete the action; the point is to sample the result.

ようとする = to try to do X, i.e., attempt it with no guarantee you succeed.

Never use ~ようとする where you mean "give it a whirl and see" — that's ~てみる.


ようとする vs. ことにする:

ことにする means "decide to." It's about resolving on a course of action, not attempting one. So, 留学しようとした means "I attempted to study abroad (and something got in the way)"; 留学することにした means "I decided to study abroad."

0
3 days ago
Getting the posts




Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana